Article Key Words

Flies in your Eyes is a dynamic source of uncommon commentary and common sense, designed to open your eyes and stimulate your thinking.

grid detail

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Arguing with My Wife

Lake Manyara Tanzania - photo by JoAnn Sturman
Scott Sturman
fliesinyoureyes.com


I hardly ever win an argument with my wife. On the rare occasion when I think I have won, I really didn’t or it was a Pyrrhic victory. Even though I convince myself that my reasoning is logical, supported by fact, and well articulated, I never seem to get my way. Early on I typically feel I am making headway and will carry the day, but then she abruptly changes course and equates the disagreement with a totally unrelated subject. I object and attempt to steer the conversation back to the original topic, but it’s a lost cause. No amount of oratory or vocabulary can persuade her. I pull some indisputable facts out of my bag of tricks, but she ignores them and makes up her own. Defeated and frustrated, like Dagwood Bumstead after a tiff with Blondie, I retire to the backyard wondering what went wrong.

Barrack Obama is used to getting his way and fortunate to have a groveling media which portrays him as omniscient. This lack of scrutiny has allowed him to ignore America’s historical perspective and his own personal history. The press has granted him a free pass and not held him accountable. It is not surprising his handling of the debt crisis is consistent with this trend.

In fairness Obama inherited a difficult economic position, but the manner in which his administration attempted to rectify the problem made matters much worse than necessary. Profligate spending and amassing of crushing debt in a span of two years took a serious problem and transformed it into one which jeopardizes the future of the country.

If the situation was not so serious, Obama’s conduct would be laughable. When facts are inconvenient, he simply ignores them or invents new ones to suit his purpose. In order to avoid answering specific questions he resorts to theatrics and plays the class warfare card time and time again without heed to context. He vilifies those who pay the vast majority of taxes but acts as if squandering trillions of dollars has nothing to do with the crisis.

Most husbands will agree in the domestic setting their wives are formidable debating foes, and no argumentative technique is off limits. I wish Barrack would save his histrionics, hyperbole, and excuses when he quarrels with Michelle in the Lincoln bedroom of the White House. The resolution of the national debt will not be solved by stamping his feet and threatening to take his football home so no one else can play. Hopefully, the Republicans will remember why the voters sent them to Washington in 2010 and not succumb to his antics.

The Argument from Intimidation is a confession of intellectual impotence.

Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), The Virtue of Selfishness, 1964

No comments:

Post a Comment

grid detail